Rental Guardian (Damage Protection) : How do I enable it?
RentalGuardian accidental damage protection provides your guests with cover for any unintentional damage they cause to your property during their stay.
1. To set up the connection with RentalGuardian, login to your SuperControl account and go to Integrations > Rental Guardian > Settings & Application form.
2. Click the button to be transferred to the Rental Guardian application form. We transfer as much data as possible from your SuperControl accoun to make the onboarding process simple. Submitting this form does not commit you to anything. Read our help guide on completing the Rental Guardian form.
3. You should then log back in to SuperControl, and go to Integrations > Insurance products > Rental Guardian > Settings & Application form.
Here you will now see your Product codes and how much coverage each provides. This example shows three different products, which include accidental damage cover of between $500 (just under £410) and $1,500 (around £1,220).
The products you get might vary - this will be discussed with RentalGuardian during the set-up process.
4. Under Properties selected, you can choose whether you want RentalGuardian to be applied to all or only some of your properties, by selecting either Enable for all properties or Enable for selected properties.
Booking settings is where you set the criteria for which bookings you want each RentalGuardian product to apply to.
5. First, decide whether you want to make it compulsory for your guests to buy RentalGuardian accidental damage protection. Select Compulsory for all bookings if you want to make this compulsory for all bookings (and replace your refundable/security deposit). If you’d like your guests to have the choice between buying RentalGuardian or paying a security deposit at the time of booking, select "Allow guest to choose".
6. Then, decide which bookings you want each damage protection product to apply to by selecting the rental value under Booking rent up to (GBP) and choosing the relevant RentalGuardian product from the Product selected dropdown.
This example shows that, for bookings with a rental value of up to £1,000, guests will be offered RDP500 (which provides you with up to $500 of accidental damage cover). The cost to guests is $49.
7. Tick the checkbox next to Enable Rental Guardian and click “Save” to save this setting.
All prices listed are in USD (dollars). To cover any discrepancies regarding currency exchange, SuperControl will always round up RentalGuardian prices based on a daily conversion rate. You can also set an uplift to cover any currency fluctuations under the Daily conversion plus dropdown.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 to add further settings for bookings of different values.
9. To add details about RentalGuardian to your Terms and Conditions, go to Admin > Terms & Conditions.
1. Within SuperControl, you can keep track of all the bookings you've taken that include RentalGuardian accidental damage protection. Go to Integrations > Rental Guardian > Bookings. Here, you can filter by Arrival or Booking dates. Once you have set your parameters click "Filter" to obtain your report.
2. Your report shows the booking number and booking dates, cost to the guest, as well as a link to the Damage protection certificate. If you click on the Booking number, it will take you to the guest booking form, where a link to the certificate is also displayed:
3. Click the link to see the certificate.
It’s really easy to add RentalGuardian accidental damage protection when you’re placing an admin booking.
1. To place an admin booking, go to Bookings > Add bookings.
2. Select the property and dates your guest has requested.
3. When filling out the booking details, you'll see a checkbox to add RentalGuardian.
4. Once you've filled out all the necessary details, click "Save" to add the booking.
- Is RentalGuardian accidental damage protection for me? This integration is for SuperControl customers with at least 10 properties.
- How are payments handled? The guest pays for damage protection at the time of booking. You then pay RentalGuardian for the amount, minus your commission, when invoiced. All payments are handled on the RentalGuardian platform. This will be covered in detail in your training.
- How much commission will I earn? You receive commission on every sale of RentalGuardian damage protection. The exact amount will be discussed with you during the set-up process.
- When can guests buy accidental damage protection? Guests can buy a policy up until the day of arrival.
- Does it work for guests in any country? This document lists the countries that RentalGuardian damage protection cannot be sold to.
- How do I make a claim? Simply follow the claims link on RentalGuardian.com. RentalGuardian will then send a coverage verification letter and coverage documents together with a claims reference number.
- How long does it take to complete a claim? You have 15 days after guests depart to open a claim. Once opened, you have an additional 45 days to complete the claim.
- Is this insurance? No, RentalGuardian is different from insurance. It is accidental damage protection (it does not require authorisation from a Financial Advisor).
- What does it cover? Accidental, unintentional damage to the homeowner's rental unit or its contents during a covered booking. Examples include: accidental broken glassware or lamp, accidental broken furniture, accidental carpet spill, accidental furniture or carpet tear, accidental broken or damaged appliances.
- Will I be liable for more damage? Evidence from thousands of policies sold by RentalGuardian suggests that damage is not more likely with protection. If it does happen, you have a higher level of cover without having to chase guests or rely on your own insurance. If there is damage, with RentalGuardian, you have peace of mind that you are covered.