Which Channel Cancellation Policies could I use with Master Cancel?
With Master Cancel applied to your bookings, you can relax your Cancellation Policy on integrated channels.
Master Cancel provides the security against loss of potential earnings due to late cancellations, enabling you to relax your Cancellation Policies to offer liberal terms. This will make your properties more attractive for potential guests, who no longer need to fear losing money should they need to cancel a booking at short notice, whilst also giving you peace of mind that your booking revenue remains secure. Listings with more relaxed cancellation policies also rank higher in OTA searches, meaning that Master Cancel can help you increase booking revenue, not just protect it.
Note: Where flexible or moderate policies are used, guests will be able to cancel with the expectation of a full refund not only during the 60-2 day Master Cancel window, but also more than 60 days prior to arrival. However, in most cases, cancellations prior to the 60-2 day window will normally have a high chance that the dates will be re-booked.
On Booking.com, the most relaxed Cancellation Policy you could use with Master Cancel is Flexible, with the following settings in place:
- How long before arrival can the guest cancel free of charge? Until 2 days before arrival.
- How much is the guest charged for cancellation in the 2 days before arrival? (You can specify this yourself)
- How much is the guest charged for a no show? (You can specify this yourself)
If you need to change your cancellation policies, just follow these steps in your Booking.com Extranet:
- Click on the ‘Property’ tab in the Extranet and select ‘Policies’ to make any changes.
- Click on the ‘Edit’ button of the policy you would like to adjust.
- Adjust the settings of the policy, choosing Flexible, and specifying the number of days before arrival as above.
- Remember to click ‘Save’ when you’re done. This will apply to future bookings.
Video to explain in the Booking.com Help Centre.
For Airbnb, we recommend that you use the Moderate Cancellation Policy. Using the Flexible Policy will allow guests to expect a full refund if they cancel 24 hrs beforehand, which is outside the 2 day limit for the Master Cancel claims window. You are however to use any of the options offered by Airbnb if you prefer.
You can choose your own custom cancellation policy for HomeAway, providing you are using the full integration. To do this follow the steps below:
1. In SuperControl go to Integrations > Channel Manager > International > HomeAway (click "5 or more listings" to get your properties to display).
2. Scroll down the page where you can select "Custom" for your cancellation policy. You can therefore use these settings to match the Master Cancel window, offering 100% refund to bookings cancelled at least 60 days, and your own choice of refund percentage for bookings cancelling outside that window.
You have three tiers in which you can customise the policy, for example:
Please see the video below, which explains how to change your cancellation policy on TripAdvisor.
You are not required to offer flexible terms through channels, but are free to choose any of the cancellation options offered by the channel. You may wish not to take the risk of not being covered outside the 60-2 day window, which is a feature of the most flexible policies offered by the channels. You might also choose to make Master Cancel an added incentive to book directly, as a way to encourage guests to book through your website and not through a channel.